Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pompeii and Rome, Italy

My first stop on my backpacking trip was Italy. I just left Rome and I am headed to Greece. Italy was amazing! I had a great time the three days I was there. I would love to go back and stay longer if I could! I first arrived in Pompeii to spend the day exploring Mount Vesuvius. This was the first place I visited on my Europe trip. Vesuvius is so BIG! I couldn't believe I was actually standing beside an active volcano. It is 4,190 feet tall! I found out that the last eruption was in 1994 and I'm glad it didn't erupt while I was there! After I visited Pomeii for most of the day. I took the railroad to Rome. Before I got there I heard so many great things about Rome and I was really excited. I got there pretty late so I decided just to stay at the hotel and tour the city in the morning. The Colosseum was the first place I visited the next day. It is the largeset ampitheater in the world! It holds so many people. It was four stories high and on the second and third stories the arches are filled with statues. It was so cool! The colosseum is built with the old Roman architechture. You can tell that it was an ancient structure but it still looks awesome! The second place I visited was the Trevi Fountain. When I got there the the first thing I did was throw in a quarter and make a wish. I heard that the legend is you are supposed to throw the coin over your shoulder with your back to the fountain. I've never seen a fountain that looked anything like this one. It was beautiful and I thought that I would come back that night and see it at night. I didn't think it could look any more beautiful then it did during the day but it did! The lights made it look so much more peaceful and beautiful. There is a statue in the center of Neptune, the god of the sea riding in his chariot pulled by two sea horses.
If you would like to see more visit this link The Roman Colosseum



If you would like to see more visit this link The Trevi Fountain

No comments:

Post a Comment