Thursday, September 30, 2010

Berlin, Germany

My fourth and final stop was in Berlin Germany. I stayed in Berlin from June 24-27. I had a room at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. That was my hotel. The first place I toured was The Reichstag. It is a large parlimentary building with big pillars on the front. It was awesome! It was constructed between 1884 and 1894. It has a huge glass dome on the top which let in a lot of light. It was so pretty! The second place I visited was the Kollwitzplatz.  There is a water tower, the district’s landmark, and one of the oldest synagogues of Berlin is located very close to the Kollwitzplatz. It is in a rectangular square in the heart of Prenzlauer Berg. After the Kollwitzplatz I went to Sea Life Berlin. It is an aquarium with thousands of animals. It didn't only have ocean animals but also lake and river creatures too. It was so cool to see different types of animals than the regular ones in America. The next place I went was the Neue Synagogue. It is built in Moorish style. The front of the building, is richly ornamented with shaped bricks and terracotta accented by coloured glazed bricks. The buildings alignments change to mesh with the pre-existing structures. Inside there are about 3,000 seats! There is a large, central dome with two smaller ones on each side. This was like no church I have ever seen before. Well, I am now on my way home from my Europe trip and I really enjoyed every minute of it. It was an amazing adventure.

The Neue Synagogue

To learn more about the Reichstag check out this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment